Consider the Lilies..: Favorite things (this week)..   

Mar 22, 2017

Favorite things (this week)..

OK, so I realize that my favorite things is a weird thing to blog about but I really don't have anything else.
Seriously.
When Clay goes back to work, my life looks like this:
Monday-Saturday: Bible stuff, housework, crochet, read, play with the dogs, start trek, bed.
Sunday: Bible stuff, church, grocery store, home, crochet, play with the dogs, star trek, bed.
That's it..
There's not many blog posts you can do with that.
I do have a coffee date with a friend tomorrow, so if anything exciting happens I'll let you know..
Ha!

Soooo...  I have lots of favorite things this week!

First one..
I'm reading this book again.
Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes.
I had it on Audibook too but the narrator was so bad that I just couldn't listen to it so I returned it.  She read it as if she were reading to preschoolers.
Anyway..  
I read it last year and really enjoyed it so I pulled it off the shelf again. I went through it looking at everything I had highlighted (I do that) and realized that I didn't remember half of what I read.  
Sort of dumb when the point of the book is to learn something right?
So I started reading it again.  I think it's interesting that the things I thought were important enough to highlight before are not the same things that stand out to me this time reading it.
Oh!  You know what would be cool?  If someone else read this and highlighted what they thought was highlight worthy and then gave it back to me so I could read it from their perspective too!
Any takers?
Of course I have used a highlighter and a pen, so I guess you could have to use a crayon or something so I could tell the difference what you underlined and what I underlined  :)
Ha!

This stuff
I stopped drinking soda about 5 years ago.  Unlike every other person on the planet, I did NOT loose 10 pounds.  
I never went back to soda though.
So now I drink sparkling water.  I like almost every flavor, there are a few I don't like but right now I'm loving the lemon flavor.  Lime is my usual go-to flavor and last week I really liked the grapefruit flavor.  But this week it's lemon.

It's not the Journible this time I promise.. 
Although I do LOVE my Journibles..  But this time it's the pencil.
I've always had a love/hate relationship with mechanical pencils.  Lots of people use them and they seem to like them, especially men.  Have you noticed that?  Men seem to use mechanical pencils more than women do.
So I buy one thinking that I'm going to like it.  I never do.  The lead is too skinny so I'm always breaking it and I don't like the way it feels in my hand.  
But I found these on Amazon; they're fat mechanical pencils.  They came in a bunch of different colors too :)

Moleskine journal.
Clay gave me two for our anniversary.  21 years!!
I love the journals..  
Of course I do, I love any journal. I have six of them, counting this one to fill.
But I love these Moleskine journals the best right now..  
I'm not really using it for a journal per say, at least not a diary or a sort of prayer journal; but more of notetaker's journal.  I keep it with me so I can write down any little tidbit that gets my attention for a second like a quote from whatever I'm reading or from a sermon I'm listening to, stuff like that..
Clay ordered it from Missional Wear, the same place I got my John Bunyan hoodie.
I got him beer glasses with the Five Solas etched on them.
I could spend a LOT of money on that website so I stopped looking at stuff. :)

Coconut coffee..
We used to buy Starbucks coffee, but I found out that they support Planned Parenthood.  Darn it.
We had to stop shopping at Target for the same reason.  The transgender bathroom thing never bothered me and to be honest, since a lot of people began boycotting Target, shopping there has become much more enjoyable.
But Planned Parenthood (in my opinion) is different.  It doesn't matter to me if it's a small percentage that they give, it's the fact that they give it at all.  It burns me up that any of our taxes go to fund them but there isn't anything I can do about that.  But I can't sit here and enjoy a cup of coffee knowing that even a percentage of a cent of the money (I willingly paid) is going to help planned parenthood kill another baby.
(Please don't leave a comment arguing about this.  I'll delete it. Seriously, not even up for discussion)
*Rant over.*
Anyway, we switched Brands.  Turns out, I really like Dunkin' Donuts coffee.  
Especially the coconut..
Unfortunately you can't find it everywhere and it's only sold at certain times of the year.
Dang it.

This adorable, obnoxious, destructive, lovable puppy.
Here he is destroying the paper he pulled from the printer.
I am convinced that 4 months is the equivalent to a toddler's 'terrible-twos'.
When we first brought him home, he only pooped in the house twice, but then we got a doggy door (I'll get to that in a minute) and he started going outside.  Then he realized that he could lift his leg, so we had to keep a closer eye on him.  He seem's to have stopped that now, but if we see him sniffing around we scoot him out the door.
But since he turned 4 months, he's pooped on the floor a half a dozen times, chewed up 2 of my Crocs (don't judge me, I only wear them at home) has decided that he doesn't know his name again, and literally talks back and throws a tantrum when I tell him 'no' or he doesn't get what he wants.
For reals.  If I tell him 'no' he will sit down in front of me and bark at me.  If I tell him 'no' again, he will bark louder.  When I tell him 'no' the third time he will (I kid you not) flop down on his side and howl.
Oh, and just recently he has decided that chewing on the carpet is an OK thing to do.
Clay will be replacing the floors when he gets home, so I'm not as freaked out about that as I normally would be.
Oh, and he's decided that my glasses are toys.  I lost my glasses yesterday for a couple hours.  I went outside to hang a blanket on the clothesline and noticed Gunner sitting in the middle of the yard with my glasses in his mouth.  
Right now he is under my bed growling at anyone who might decide to walk past the doorway of the bedroom.  There is no one in the bedroom by the way.
Oh wait, now he's under Sky's bed barking at her while she's sleeping..
But he's so sweet too!  When he's not yelling at me for not giving him what he wants, he's incredibly playful and really lovable too..
Obedience school is scheduled to start on April 23rd though.  You know, because he's crazy.

Our kitchen table.
We had a breakfast nook for about 5 years and I really liked it, but it took up a lot of room and the table itself was pretty small.  We couldn't fit our plates and the food on the table at the same time, especially when we had dinner guests (ok, we really only have one extra person at our table on occasion and it's always the same person, but there still wasn't much room for him).  So we gave the nook to a friend and Clay went to NFM (Nebraska Furniture Mart to you non-nebraska people) and came back with this.
Yay!

The doggy door.
This my friends is a wonderful invention.  Especially if you have puppies.  I really wish we had thought to get one when Sky got Keisel.  We called him the ninja-pooper.  One second he was right in front of you, and the next second he was pooping somewhere.  It got worse when he realized that he was no longer afraid to go downstairs.
Most of the people I complained to said not to worry about it because he would get his cues from Buster and learn to go outside.  That didn't happen.  Nothing changed until Tracy suggested the potty bells.  They worked and he was housebroken.  Except he jingled the bells every 3 minutes and since we were afraid that he would pee somewhere if we didn't let him out, we were constantly running to the door to open it.
So we brought Gunner home and a couple days later Clay put in the doggy door.
I think doggie doors should come with a puppy,  Buy a puppy, get a free doggy door.
Fortunately Gunner does take his cues from Keisel so once Sky convinced Keisel that going through the door was not as terrifying as he thought it was, he started going through it and Gunner followed.
Now it's constant.  All day.  Back and forth.  
One day they were so hyper, running in and out so many times that Keisel got confused and actually came inside to pee.  Of course Gunner saw him and did it too.
*sigh*

Cast iron pans
Another item I have always had a love/hate relationship with.  
I hear people rave about cast iron so I always think that I want cast iron too.  
Then I buy it and think that it's gonna be awesome. But I don't know how to take care of it.  How to season it, how to clean it, how to season it again.  Do I scrub it and put it in the oven every time I use it?  Do I use water?  Is it true that I can't cook tomatoes in it? Can I use soap?
There are so many different opinions that I get frustrated and get rid of the pan.
 I bought a whole set of cast iron once but I gave it all away because I couldn't figure out how to use it properly.
So last week I saw a video on Facebook about how to care for cast iron.  It looked simple enough, so I gave it a shot.  I had 2 cast iron pans in that drawer at the bottom of the oven that no one ever opens.  I followed the instructions on the video and it worked! 
I know how to cook with and care for cast iron!  
I use them so often now that I don't even put them back in the drawer.
Yay me!

Last.  This cookbook.
Not even kidding.  This cookbook is fantastic.  
You should get it.

I have another favorite.  LipSense.  But that's a whole other blogpost!
 Are you wondering if I really will write a whole post about LipSense?
Probably.
I told you my life was boring ;)

2 comments:

  1. Re: your Planned Parenthood comment. Not negative per se, so thinking it will pass your inspection, but maybe not. So, here's my thing. I don't expect people who are not Christians to understand and/or agree with things that I believe. I get it. I belong to a completely different world. And when I think about certain sins, I can totally see where they think Christians are way off base. Gay marriage is my example. You know that I have someone very close to me who is gay. I adore her, I adore her wife, I was even the Matron of Honor when they got married. My flesh has no problem with it whatsoever. I love her and I want her to be happy and to be with someone wonderful who loves her. They have an amazing family. Like I said, my flesh doesn't see why it's wrong. But God says it is. So it is, but no more wrong than Tom and I "living together" before we married (the "_" are because we paid mortgage/rent at two different places - so we weren't living together - ha ha). And I've had a very hard conversation with her about it as well, where I told her the truth about what God has to say about it. But abortion -- I don't see how anyone, ANYONE, Christian or not, can NOT view abortion as anything other than murder. Plain and simple. Abortion for any reason. ANY reason. Is. Murder. How can anyone possibly look at it and find it ok? Ugh!

    That's all.
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree. With all of it.. I think you explained your feelings toward gay marriage perfectly, they are my feelings as well.

      Delete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!