Consider the Lilies..: Hello!   

Feb 3, 2016

Hello!

So I haven't blogged in forever.  But there really isn't much to blog about.  Plus I don't like blogging on my phone because I don't like the layout and my laptop died so I'm waiting for the tax return to be deposited so I can buy a new one.  I'm getting a good one this time. My last one was a dell, which is a pretty good brand as far as laptops go, but it was one of the cheaper ones and it only lasted for a year and then died right after the warranty was up. Go figure. 
I'm going to get a MacBook Air. It's pricey, but you get what you pay for right?
I haven't been able to do any schoolwork since my laptop died and the school stuff isn't compatible to mobile devices so I'm going to be super busy catching up. 

Sky stayed home from work yesterday because of the blizzard so we spent the day being lazy. Clay taught her how to play rummy and she beat us pretty soundly.  We played about 5 rounds of Clue (her favorite board game) and then watched The Croods. 

Angola is trying to get Clay to take a live in position again. He accepted the position the first time but then they told him that they didn't really mean to offer it to him. The country manager wanted to hire someone who could do the job but at much lower pay so she could impress corporate by being 'efficient' and she was pretty sure that she had a friend that would take the job (even though he had no idea how to do the job so Clay would have to train him). Can you imagine?  Training someone to be your boss?  
But it turns out, no one wants to work in Angola because it's absolutely horrible. 
Plus, Clay's boss Lindsay and his relief were transferred to work in a different country last month so they need someone right away. Clay stepped in to do their job as well as his own since there is no one else to do it. 
So when the country manager saw that Clay could do the job of three people she decided to offer him a live in position to do all three jobs..  For the same pay that he's making now. He told her that he wouldn't even consider talking to his wife about it without a 30% pay raise and wouldn't take the job (if I agreed) for less than a 40% raise in pay..  He told me that was his way of saying "hell no". 
I think she understood. 
But Russia wants him next year and just recently Canada offered him a position next year too. He's leaning toward Russia. Either way, he won't be in Angola after the end of this year.  I'm happy about that..

I haven't been doing anything really exciting. Since I can't do any schoolwork Ive been working a lot on a blanket for my bed. I started it about three months ago-
I'm using cotton yarn, single stitch, with a  small hook. I have a king size bed and the blanket is about a quarter of the way finished (it's folded in thirds in the pic). It's going to take a long time and be pretty heavy when it's done. 
But after a while I get tired of working with the rough yarn, not to mention looking at white all the time and making such tiny stitches, so I started a blanket for Elaine too-

Bigger hook, soft yarn, chunky stitch and brighter color.  I'm going to add a soft mint green too :)

I decided to take the membership class at church. Last Sunday was the second one (it's a six week class). I was sorta bummed last Sunday though because Savannah was speaking at her church and I had to miss it to go to the class. 
The class is really informative though and so far I like what I'm learning. They stand on the 5 Solas and church discipline which is important to me.  There is an actual process that you have to go through to be a member; take the class, be interviewed, and then wait while the pastors and elders discuss it and vote..
At my previous church all they want to know is that you will volunteer at the church and commit to tithing. There is no process even though the people taking the one day class think there is because they fill out a four page application. 
But once they turn in their application, only one person looks at it. Then the info is copied into the computer system and their status in the system is changed from 'attendee' to 'member'. 
I know this because  I was that one person who went through the applications and put them into the system ;)
 There is no meeting between applicants and anyone in leadership, no one prays about it or even talks about it.  It doesn't matter what kind of person you are, your convictions, or what sort of a life you lead; as long as you commit to tithe to the church and are super excited about serving in some way that's all that matters.
The only downside to membership at my church is once you're accepted as a member, they call you up in front of the whole congregation and introduce you to everyone. I could do without that part. But it is what it is right?

That's about all I can think of..  I'll try to blog more often in the future :)

4 comments:

  1. So I have a king size bed too, and that beautiful white blanket would look pretty awesome on it! :) Good work - it looks time consuming but gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next one I make will be yours then.. It will be a start at making up for all the pictures I never send you or all the presents I never send your girls. :-/

      Delete
  2. So excited about the blanket!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI.. That was Elaine commenting above (the link she used was signed in with my account. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!