Consider the Lilies..: Day 8   

Jul 10, 2015

Day 8

3 Personal Goals

It's taken me a while to do this particular post..  Not because I couldn't think of any personal goals; I have several..  It was just a matter of sorting out my top three..

So here we go..

Meekness.  
Seriously..  
For the longest time I had the wrong idea of what meekness really was..
I thought it meant timid, weak, fragile..  Meekness = weakness..  Right?
Well no..
Websters 1828 dictionary (which by the way is the best dictionary ever, I really really want one, and one day I will own a hardback copy of one instead of using the online version which would be incredibly helpful in my theology studies) defines meekness as: 

Softness of temper; mildness; gentleness; forbearance under injuries and provocations.
In an evangelical sense, humility, resignation to the divine will without murmuring or peevishness; opposed to pride, arrogance and refractoriness.
Meekness is a grace which Jesus alone inculcated and which no ancient philosopher seems to have understood or recommended.

 I do not possess a softness of temper..  When I'm mad, I'm mad.  I will say that my temperament has improved since I began seriously reading the Bible and it does take a little more than it used to to make me angry, but still, when I am angry I speak without thinking, I snap at others and behave in a very unbecoming manner..  I don't throw tantrums or anything, but I do use a hurtful tone and I can be incredibly mean.
I'm alright as far as dealing with personal injuries, but the gloves come off if anyone says anything about my husband that could be considered even remotely close to an insult..  And if I feel that he has been treated unfairly?  It can get pretty bad..  You see, I know how amazingly wonderful my husband is and I feel that it should be obvious to everyone else as well, so when I feel that his awesomeness has been threatened in any way whatsoever; the gloves come off..  
It's stupid really..  It's not as if he needs me to defend him, and he doesn't care what you think of him anyway..
Oh, and gentleness?  Wow..  Not even close..  I can be incredibly sarcastic in a mean sort of way, tact still doesn't come naturally to me, I tend to be a bit confrontational, and the word aggressive has been used to describe my personality more than once.. 

So that's one goal..  To learn, practice, and eventually behave with meekness all the time..
I'm trying and I am getting better..  I have noticed a change..  Hopefully one day someone besides me will notice as well  :)

Well, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be and it was only one goal out of three..
I guess I'll do the other two later..

1 comment:

  1. Good goal. We all have stuff to work on. That's for sure! I never thought of meekness as being weak though. I think more humble

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!