Consider the Lilies..: Keep your eyes on Him.,   

Oct 2, 2013

Keep your eyes on Him.,

Sometimes we all overthink things and make situations more complicated than they need to be. 
Of the two boys who we have taken in, our oldest boy, Jakey is the one I am most concerned about. His life has not been a long one, but it's been a difficult one. He is the sweetest person I have ever met, and it amazes me that he is given his upbringing. 
But every couple weeks or so he is hit with horrible bouts of depression. When the depression comes on him, he goes to his room, shuts the door turns off his light, and lays in his bed for hours sometimes even days. He will come out of his room to have dinner, and he will sit there quietly not talking to anyone, not really listening to anyone. Just eats his dinner and goes back to his bed. 
We knock on the door and ask him if he is okay, and he always replies "yes I'm fine, just thinking".

We pray constantly for him, we have groups praying for him. I have asked pastors and other people how we should approach him, if we should approach him, what we should say if we approach him, and even what we shouldn't say if we approach him. 
Depression has always been such an uncertain area for me. Because I have never experienced it myself I simply do not understand it. I must confess that I am at a loss at how to help someone with depression, even though God seems to have surrounded me with people who suffer from it. 

For weeks I have prayed for him, and I have asked God for guidance. I have asked God to tell me what to say, how to say it, if I should say anything.  Over and over I have asked "God please direct me, show me what to do". But God has either remained silent to me, or I'm just not hearing Him. 

But then, two days ago my daughter sat down next to me on the couch and said "by the way, I talked to Jakey". 
She told me that after the second day of him hiding away in his bedroom she went in, sat down and asked him to talk to her. 
As usual he told her that he was just thinking, so she asked him "what are you thinking about?"  He said that as he has been laying there, thoughts just seem to fall out of his head, memories that he hadn't remembered or thoughts that he really did not want to think about but could not make them go away. 
So my daughter said "well maybe that is God dropping thoughts out of your head, one at a time so that you can deal with each of them and move on to the next one".

I have to tell you, I have no idea where she came up with that because I certainly never said that to her but I was surprised at the wisdom in her statement. 
She then told him that she had decided that from now on, when ever his depression came over him and he went into his room, that she was no longer going to let him be alone. She told him that it's never good for anyone to be alone in times like that, so they would sit together and talk about whatever thoughts God decided to bring out. 

She said that she saw his bottom lip start to tremble after she said that, so she sat next to him on his bed and put her arms around him while he cried. 

For weeks and weeks I have prayed over and over for Jakey. I have sought help from friends and from pastors. I have gone back and forth in my mind trying to think of the right way to help him, but our daughter just walked in and sat down. She didn't think about what she was going to do, she didn't think about what she was going to say, she just did it. 

For some reason, and I don't know why, but I just assumed that it was her job to bring the boys to us and that we would take it from there. Never once did it occur to me that God had included Sky in His plan for the boys as well. 

From the moment these boys walked into my home I had it in my head that God had put it on my husband and I to lead these boys to Him. I have worried about what to say and how to say it. I have struggled with trying to formulate a plan to get these boys to know Jesus, without even realizing that my own daughter was being Jesus to them and not even knowing it. 

The Bible says "cast your cares upon him for he cares about you". Peter 5:7

All this time I have been trying to figure out how do I do this?  It was almost as if I thought "God brought them to me, I will just take it from here". It did not occur to me until just a few days ago that God put them in our home so obviously God had a plan for their lives as well. He did not just bring them to my door and then walk away, he is with them even now watching their every step as well as our own. God IS pursuing them!

When God puts a calling on our lives He doesn't just set the job before us and walk away. He doesn't just drop it in our laps and then leave us to deal with it all on our own. 
He put a love for these boys in me, a love that I know I would not have grown myself. And that is all I really need to do, love them. And even that is so easy because of God. 

God says to seek Him first, to keep your eyes on Him always.  Because when we take our eyes off of Him our problems and our issues seem so big to us that we forget how truly minimal they are to God. But when we focus on God, no matter how big our problems seem to us, He will walk through them with us. He will clear a path, as long as we stay on it.
He WILL show us the way and His way is good. 

"Be still and know that I am God."
Psam 46:10

Linking up with

8 comments:

  1. Ren, your posts always help me, and brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your positive feedback always brightens mine :)

      Delete
  2. Wow; what an amazing story of how God worked through your daughter to answer your prayers...this just brought tears to my eyes Ren! We are so blessed that God is our source of strength; nothing or no one else can give us that…only Him! The comfort of His strength and grace is our ultimate source when we are overburdened and weak. Praying for Jakey and your wonder family dear friend! :)

    Blessings sis!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ren! Now why am I not surprised...look at who her momma is! :-) You and your husband have raised an amazing young lady! God is so awesome, isn't He...just when we think He's not paying attention, He's always behind the scenes working out! Thanks so much for reminding us Ren that God is ALWAYS in control and thanks for linking up! Have a wonderful weekend my friend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ren, it's been a while since I've visited your blog! :) Somehow your e-mails are not getting into my regular inbox, so it's easy to miss them. I love this story! He answers prayer in ways we can never even think up, doesn't He? What an opportunity, too, for your daughter to exercise her faith and see the fruit. I really like what you said about God not failing to equip us for a calling or provide us with the help we need. I so often make it about what I can do rather than what He can do, but it frustrates me every time. Good reminder!
    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We adults can get all caught up in the trying to figure things out. When kids just have the courage to walk out in faith. This is such a beautiful story. You might also seek counseling for Jakey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have started that process too :)

      Delete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!