Consider the Lilies..: I read it..   

Mar 23, 2013

I read it..

I finished the book, Friendships for grownups by Lisa Whelchel..


To be honest, I didn't really enjoy it..  It sort of seemed like she victimized herself through most of the book, as if (intentionally or unintentionally) she blamed others for her inability to maintain solid friendships..
It seemed like she was saying "If she hadn't done this, or said that" I could have been a great friend to her..  Or "If she would have done this or said that" we would have been close friends..

I didn't like how openly she wrote about the failed friendships in her life..  I am assuming that she changed the names, but she was very detailed in her description of the situations..  I'm sure if these people chose to read it they would know she was writing about them, and I'm pretty sure their friends would too..
Though I appreciate her honesty and her willingness to be completely open about herself, her 'poor me' style of writing made me more annoyed with her than sympathetic..

I know that anyone who has the same problems as she did with making friends or keeping friendships would relate to this book and find it truly helpful..  I guess what I mean is, if you are going to read this book, you should need to read it..  You know?  Don't just read it because you saw her on Facts of Life (or because you won it in a giveaway)..


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm a little disappointed in what you thought about the book and will probably skip this one to read.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!