Consider the Lilies..: He is faithful..   

Mar 25, 2013

He is faithful..

Your love O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
Psalm 36:5


A few weeks ago the lesson at Hearts (women's Bible study) was about the power of your words..  I  listened because I try very hard to pay attention to the things I say and the effect that my words have on myself and others (I fail, but I keep trying!)..  It was an amazing lesson..  The teacher talked about how we can carry around things that are said to us..  That they can change how we think, feel, and act..  At the end of her lesson she asked if anyone has been hanging on to something that was said to them in the past, and if there were, for them to come forward so she could pray for them..
At that moment my husband called so I had to step out of the room..  Plus I honestly didn't think I had anything to pray away..  But then, 2 days later I had a thought that literally stopped me in my tracks..

I need to change directions for just a second and tell you this first (it will make sense in a minute)..  Not long after my husband was saved, the presbyters came to our church..  One of them, Clark Whitten (he wrote and amazing book called Pure Grace, check it out!) saw Clay and told him to stand up..  Clark told him "God wants to bless you..  With your declaration of faith, He will bless you..  Financial blessing, cup running over, green pastures..  You are a man of faith..  Declare it, live it, and you will be blessed!"

OK, back to my story..  About a year and a half ago, someone said that I cared more about my husband's paycheck than about his safety or well being..  Now it is true that my husband doesn't always work in the safest locations and the job itself comes with it's fare share of dangers..  It is also true that he makes good money..  He's oil field..  But he's good at his job (the best in his field) and he loves what he does..

Now here's the funny thing:  I know that what this person said is not true..  I know it isn't, my husband knows it isn't, the people who know me and love me know it isn't..  I kinda think the person who said it knows it too..  I knew right away that it wasn't true..  So I let go of it..  Or so I thought I did..
But then I started to change my behavior..  If I bought a new pair of boots, or a new purse, I wouldn't tell anyone..  If someone said "I love your boots, are they new?"  I would say no..  I would say that they were old, and that I just hadn't worn them in a long time..

If my husband and I went to a nice restaurant I had already decided that if we ran into anyone we knew from church I would say that we were using a gift card to pay for it..  It got to where I didn't want anyone to know  that I had spent any money..  I started worrying that people would see things that I had and think that all I cared about was Clay's  money, and I didn't really love him..
How stupid is that?  I mean anyone with working eyeballs could see how much I absolutely adore my husband!   I knew that..  Everyone knew it!  But still...

It didn't matter that aside from our tithe, we had given away thousands in cash to people who needed it last year..  It didn't matter that because of our income we were able to sponsor a child through Compassion, or donate to the Open door mission, and Make a Wish foundation..  It didn't matter that we were able to purchase lunches and weekend meals for an entire year for 2 kids in Omaha..  It didn't matter that we were able to pay rent for people, buy their groceries, pay their electric bills, buy clothes for their kids, and make their car payments..  None of that mattered
(I'm not saying all this to brag, I'm trying to make a point)..

My point is, that I allowed something someone said to me, something that was completely untrue, and something that was only said once in a moment of anger, to affect me for almost 2 years..  And I didn't even realize it!
But then a couple weeks ago it just hit me..
I believed a lie..

GOD promised us financial blessing..  God PROMISED us financial blessing..  God promised US financial blessing..  God promised us financial BLESSING..
Yeah, I really did have to repeat that to myself 4 times..

God is making good on his promise and here I am acting as if I am ashamed of it??
Because of God, my husband is incredibly gifted at what he does..  Because of God, my husband is successful..  Because of God, my husband is quite happy and safe working in Libya of all places..  Because of God my husband makes a good salary..  And because of God, we are able to help a lot of people..

I allowed the enemy to push that stupid lie in my head, and I carried it with me for far too long.. 

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5

It's true..  Hold every thought captive..  Every single one..  Think about it and decide if it's something you really want to hang on to, or if it's a thought that has no place in your memory..  If it doesn't, throw it away..

God is faithful..
We are blessed..  I'm not ashamed of that..
God is faithful..



Linking up with The Beauty in His Grip.
&

20 comments:

  1. Wow Ren! Powerful post...how true is that! Even though you didn't actually believe the lie...you subconsciously allowed it to affect you. The enemy is very subtle. As long as we keep in the forefront the fact that he's ALREADY defeated, we win EVERY TIME! Thanks so much Ren for the powerful reminder...have a blessed week my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Michell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I stopped by today. This is a very strong post and a good reminder for me to examine my heart about what lies I am believing. Thank you for your transparency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Ren; how amazing that we let the lies and hurtful comments change the way our heart reacts and believes! God has done amazing things for us all in different ways and with different people, and we are all blessed with different gifts. How wonderful that you are such a generous and sharing giver....and can additionally enjoy the blessings He has given to you!

    Blessings and love on HIs Holy week!
    Deenise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that Denise. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for writing such an amazing piece. I needed to hear this. Bless you, sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, the power of words! I also try to be cautious of my words but fail a large portion of the time. I know how painful it can be on the receiving end and how easy it is to let yourself believe the lies. Once we choose to let go of the lie will be set free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post Ren! It's amazing how words can 'stick' in our unconscious and wreak havoc on our behavior. I love that you included 2 Cor.10:5! As a counselor, I've used this verse A LOT! I can't tell you how often God has used these words to change the course of a woman's life. Very powerful!
    Thanks for visiting my blog... always enjoy your visits!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is able to do abundantly above all that we can ask or think. He IS able You and your husband are good stewards. He blessed you and you're a blessing. Wow... the effects that words can have... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is amazing what a kind word will do for someone. Words are very powerful. I am sorry that you carried something said by someone with you for 2 years. I am glad that you now understand that you don't need to do that anymore. What a beautiful post! I am visiting with DYWW blog hop. I am a new follower.

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and following!

      Delete
  10. God knows your heart. You will never be able to please everyone. When others are convinced of something, it is difficult to change their minds. God sees us and understands us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ren, I love your honesty in the post. I think sometimes we underestimate the power of just a few words spoken to us or by us. We can spend a lifetime trying to disprove someone else thoughts about us that aren't even reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! Sadly, we don't realize it until much later :(

      Delete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!