Consider the Lilies..: What the heck??   

Dec 6, 2012

What the heck??

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Ephesians 5:22-24


Even before I was a Christian, I had no problem submitting to my husband..  He is a very strong, intelligent man who never makes a rash decision..  His decisions are never for selfish reasons, are always made for the good of his family, and are always well thought out..  He is not a spontaneous person to say the least..
He very rarely says no and usually lets me have my way..  So on the rare occasions that he puts his foot down, it's for a good reason..  I can trust him completely, and have no problem submitting..  And now that he knows that he has God to help him make his decisions, it's even easier to go along happily with whatever he decides..
Until recently..

See, Clay has always had a dangerous job..  He was a Marine Corps sniper (ooh-rah!) when we got married and has been in some pretty dangerous places (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, etc.) and in some pretty dangerous situations..
After that he was a prison guard in the same town where both his older and younger brothers are police officers and very well known by the inmates .  Let me assure you, being the brother of 2 cops in a room full of convicts five days a week is not exactly a safe place to be..

Then he went into the oilfield and has been there for the past 14 years..  The oilfield is his happy place..  He knows his job, he excels at it, and he absolutely loves what he does..  But it is not without it's dangers..  There is a lot of pressure, I mean that literally, if the pressure goes up to far, wells explode and people die..  As a matter of fact, it's Clay's job to make sure that doesn't happen..  There is a lot of pressure in maintaining the pressure, if that makes any sense..

Now, he has been in several dangerous locations in this field..  He has worked in Africa among rebels and in the middle of diamond conflicts..  He has been in the middle of an ocean when the rig caught fire with no where to go but into shark infested waters..  He caught malaria twice..  He's been in places where people would kill you if they knew that you had $2.00 in your pocket..
Sure I worried some, but I have always been pretty OK with where he went and what he did..  I trust him, and know that he knows his job and how to handle himself..

A while ago he was offered a job in 2 different locations..  One was Australia, the other other was in a more dangerous location..  More dangerous than anywhere he has ever worked before..  Well, with the exception of the Marines, but he had several guns and a bunch of other Marines who also had guns..  But this would be a place where there was a danger he has never faced before..  He has never been in a location where his religion might get him killed..  Where carrying a Bible through customs, or the cross tattooed on his arm could get him arrested..  So this time I was worried..  Really worried..
It wasn't long before he decided on Australia..  Whew!  I was pleased..  Nothing dangerous about Australia..  He was doing everything he needed to do to get ready to work in Australia..  We just needed one more piece of paperwork to come in the mail and it would be all set..  I was even a little excited about it..  Life was good..
Until Clay dropped a bombshell..  We were on the porch and he said "I have been thinking about it, and praying about it for 2 months, and I have made a decision..  I need to go to the other place instead."


WHAT?!?

I was shocked..  Floored..  And immediately panicked .  "What do you mean you 'need' to go?  What about Australia?  Are you crazy?  Are you high?  What the h*ll are you thinking??"  Or something like that..
He repeated what he said about praying, and a lot of thought, blah blah blah..  
So I regained my composure and replied (very calmly and in my sweetest voice) said "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  NO WAY!  ABSOLUTELY NOT! NO NO NO NO NO!  YOU ARE GOING TO AUSTRALIA!  PERIOD!  END OF DISCUSSION!"
Yeah, that totally didn't work..  He is going to that other place, and after much prayer and revelation of my own, I am on board..  Not thrilled with it, but on board..  

Now, this post is long enough already, and it will take an even longer post to explain what made me change my mind, so I'll do that in the next post..
Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it just like God to take us out of our comfort zones. I am looking forward to reading more of ya'lls story. I will be praying for all of you as your new journey begins.

    Much love to you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great things happen when we listen to HIM. Praying for Clays safety on this adventure. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be finish up the post pretty soon.. Thank you both for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!