Consider the Lilies..: What is it gonna take?   

Oct 22, 2012

What is it gonna take?

Today a question was asked of me: "What is it gonna take for you to stop being affected with the things of this world that upset you and realize that compared to the kingdom, all of this is insignificant?"

Um...

I was talking to a friend of mine who found a lump in her breast..  She does not have cancer, but she said "If I learned that I had cancer, would the offenses that I hold on to now mean anything to me at all?  No, they would not.  I would be too focused on the Lord and the time I had left on this earth"

So what is it going to take for me to get over hurt feelings, misunderstandings, offenses, and indignation?  Do I need God to make something  incredibly significant (and probably not good) happen to me before I stop looking around and start looking up?  When am I going to realize that it's all just so stupid?  That I don't need to be offended, strike first, strike back, defend myself or confront anyone who acts in a manner that I don't approve of?

What is it gonna take?

“Meaningless! Meaningless!
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!

    Everything is meaningless.”

What does man gain from all his labor

    at which he toils under the sun?

Generations come and generations go,

    but the earth remains forever.

Ecc. 1:1-4

If my house caught on fire right now would I care about a few stupid disagreements or misunderstanding?  If my daughter were hit by a car today (God forbid) would someone's opinion mean anything to me?  If my husband didn't make it home safely would it matter to me if someone may have the wrong idea about me?
If I were standing before God himself, would anything else matter?  At all?
NO!

What is it gonna take for me to realize; to really, really understand that though my life on earth is limited, how I live my life on this earth will determine my reward in Heaven?  And what is it gonna take for me to live that way?

You know, my house is not on fire right now, but that doesn't mean it won't ever be..  I can think that I will live a long life and that I will have plenty of time to get my self together, but the truth is; I don't know that..  I could die today..  And if I did, and I stood before God today, could I hold my head up and say that I did everything that I could have done to live the way He wanted me to?
No, I could not..

Because I can do better..

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem telling this. I'm the one who had the breast cancer scare. I didn't find a lump, they found something huge on my mammogram. I'm in the clear but I have to be rechecked in six months instead of the regular year.

    So yes today was my epiphany, if they had found something terminal or even if they DO, will the stupid comments on fb really mean anything to me or the length of my life? No.

    I'm done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I thought it was a lump.. I should probably pay more attention huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaa haaaa! Nah girl, I think all of us associate breast cancer with finding u lump. That is why it is SOOOOOO important at 40 to get a mammogram yearly! I skipped mine last year and look how that could have ended up. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ren for sharing! It really puts things into perspective. You are so right, my husband's best friend and our children's godfather(who was just down in July for our daughter's wedding), upon returning home found out that he had stage 4 cancer. Can you say every little petty thing was just that...PETTY! Thanks for the reminder Ren, to not get hung up on the stupid stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, glad you are well groovy mama!! Praise God! :-)

    What a way to get us to focus on perspective. I can hold on to hurts and build HUGE walls. What really matters is not the infraction.

    Thanks for this Ren! You are awesome!! So glad I found your blog. Xoxo

    Btw...the test will be if I hang on to my next hurt. I hope I make God proud and let it go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks s much, I really appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A scary reality check can give you perspective on letting offenses go, and they can give you permission to let go of the fear of being misjudged or rejected. I'm so thankful to know that Jesus knows me, my heart, and my motives better than anyone, and I never have to fear His judgement or rejection.

    So glad it's not cancer, GM. Praying your 6-month visit is crystal clear.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!