Consider the Lilies..: What are we doing??   

Oct 17, 2012

What are we doing??


As I am sure everyone knows, the presidential debate was last night..  Don't worry, this isn't going to be a 'political' rant, but I will warn you; I'm going to rant, just not about politics..

I don't have Facebook, but from the texts and phone calls I received last night and this morning, I can only imagine how heated things became..  It wasn't just Facebook though..  Hate and discord was spreading all over the internet..  I heard about fights on Twitter, chat rooms and other public forums..
People posting things they know would offend others, just waiting for someone to jump on it..  Others just waiting for that offensive post so they could jump on it, ready to do battle..  Why?

The Bible tells us to think of everyone as more important than ourselves..  To put our feelings and what we want aside:

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility.  Consider others better than yourselves."
Phillippians 2:3

"Your attitude should be the same as Jesus Christ"
Phillippians 2:3

Yet we insist on making our opinions known.  We insist on disagreeing with others, and we just have to make sure they know it.  We have to be right, we have to win, and we have to make sure that everyone else is watching when we do!  Mud-slinging, name calling, throwing insults and little digs in wherever and whenever we can..  
Feeling satisfaction and justification when others jump on our bandwagon and back us up..  Just spreading more and more poison with every petty little argument we get into..  How could any of this be considering others better than ourselves?  This is how we make others feel more important than ourselves?  This is how we show humility?  This is how we show our obedience to God?
No, this is pride..  
Why is this ok?  Where does it say in the Bible that this sort of behavior is acceptable?  Is Jesus proud of us when we behave this way?

I wish I could blame this shameful and selfish behavior on the enemy, but I can't give him all the credit..  He just sets the stage and then sits back and watches us do what we do..  And we don't disappoint him do we? Nope..  Because we insist on arguing back, we insist on getting our point across, and we refuse to give up the right to be right..  We just have to have the last word..  No way can we turn the other cheek when we have the whole of cyberspace watching to see what we will say next!  We have an opinion, the right opinion (as far as we are concerned), and we are going to say what we want to say, when we want to say it and how..  Period!  If it offends you?  Hurts you?  Upsets you?  Too bad..  Not our problem is it?  It's not like we are supposed to show love, mercy and grace to others right?

Are we Christians or not?  Do we want to be obedient to God or not?  Do we love Jesus or not?  
Has anyone considered how God feels about all of this?  How does He feel watching His children go at each other constantly?  Do you think our behavior brings Him joy?  Do you think that when He watches us not only attacking each other, but taking satisfaction in it that He is proud of us?  Do you think acting like this towards each other pleases Him?

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.  All the Law and Prophets hang on these two commandments"
Matthew 22:37-40
2 commandments..  Just 2..  Can we truly do that?  Are we even trying?

These arguments and this behavior does not benefit anyone or glorify God in any way.

1 comment:

  1. Here where lies the problem, when we are TRYING to do right and even keep ONE commandment, satin has already planned to set us back.

    Do we fall prey? I do. I was one of the ones who fell prey last night. I fell pray to someone who ALWAYS just waits to pounce on anything I post of fb. AND I felt and STILL feel totally justified in how I handled her.

    And at the same time disappointed in how I allowed the enemy to use me to strike back at her when actually it was HIM.

    We wrestle not against flesh and blood...but my flesh certainly got the best of me. Truth be told, I'm still not even sorry about it. So tonight I am one of those people you are ranting about.

    I confess it and ask God to continue to mold my heart and make me the person he wants me to be. A very true and wise friend gave me these words tonight...
    "I hope you know in HIS class you get to take the test several times till you pass."

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!