Consider the Lilies..: The thorn in my side..   

Oct 21, 2012

The thorn in my side..

Paul (the guy in the Bible) had what he called a "thorn in the flesh"..  For some time I believed it to be a health issue, but after more research I don't believe it was..  I believe it was something else..
Anyway, Paul asked God to remove the 'thorn', but God would not..


But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

So then Paul was grateful for the thorn because it made him remember who he was and how much he needed Jesus..  I have a thorn in my side..  I think we all do..  I don't know if we have the same thorn forever or if after we pull it out, another one gets wedged in..  But my thorn is a person..  Now I don't know if this is going to make any sense but I'll give it my best shot..  

As odd as this is going to sound, and several people who know me may not believe it, but I do not hate this person, I don't feel anger or malice toward this person..  I do not even dislike this person..  Seriously!  But along with this thorn comes so many misunderstandings..  It just never stops.. Now that I think about it, maybe the person really isn't the thorn..  Maybe it's simply the misunderstanding and the confusion that comes with the person..  Stick with me, I'm trying to work though this..

My plan for dealing with this thorn, or the person (I can't figure out which is which just yet) has been to ignore it/him/her..  About a week ago I made the decision to just put it behind me and not allow myself to look at or listen to anything concerning this person..  Sort of out of sight out of mind..  And I haven't..  But tonight while I was sitting here watching football, I had a thought..  If this person is misunderstanding the things I say, do, or write; which is frustrating to me; well maybe I'm doing the very same thing?  Duh..
I know, that sounds pretty obvious doesn't it?  I suppose anyone looking from the outside in probably would notice it in a heart beat, but yeah, I just got it..  I mean, I just got it right now..  

Wow..


We have all heard the phrase "you think you know a person"..  But I am thinking that even though you are pretty sure you do, well sometimes you just don't..  It comes down to looking beyond how much you think you know about a person and realizing that you don't know as much as you thought you did (with the exception of your spouse right?)..  I mean seriously, if I have been thinking this whole time "dang! This person really has the wrong idea"  why have I not even once, until this very moment, thought that if this person has the wrong idea about me, that I probably have the wrong idea about him/her too!

Yeah, total light bulb moment..

I'm not sure how helpful this post has been for you or if it has at all, but wow, it sure helped me! Thanks for reading my rambling anyway..

3 comments:

  1. Not rambling at all! This was actuall very insightful. I have a thorny person. This person can grate on my nerves like no other. I never considered that I was a thorn too. Lightbulb!!...major lightbulb. Hmmmm, wonder what I can do to rectify this?? Great post Ren!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marci.. I usually have what I'm going to blog all worked out before I start, but this time it was different.. I didn't know where I was going with it, and I certainly didn't know where I would end up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rambling girl! Don't you love the light bulb moments? I think that as long as we are teachable and open to God, He will continue to hit us with those light bulb moments.

    Like we just talked about Ren, none of us are REALLY as smart as we think we are when it comes to God. Another great one sista! Keep em coming. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!