Consider the Lilies..: Ogres are like onions..   

Oct 23, 2012

Ogres are like onions..


SHREK: For your information, there's a lot more to ogres than people think.
DONKEY: Example?
SHREK: Example? Okay. Uh... ogres are like onions. 

DONKEY: They stink? 
SHREK: Yes. No!
DONKEY: Oh, they make you cry?
SHREK: No!
DONKEY: Oh, you leave them out in the sun, they get all brown and start sprouting little white hairs.
SHREK: No! Layers! Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.~


***
People have layers too..  I believe that part of God's job (for lack of a better word) is to peel away the outer, maybe not so good layers..  This process is usually pretty painful for us..  You see, most of the time we don't know that God is working on us by ridding us of the hard, prideful, thick, spiny, rough outer layers..  Now you would think that once we are aware of what is happening that it would be easy for us..  We know that God is good, we know that God's ways are the right ways, that He has a plan and His plan is always for good..  So naturally not only are we be happy about this procedure, we are more than willing to cooperate and help the process along..  Right?

Nope..


You see, we want those outer layers!  We have lived with them for so long that they have become a part of us..  We think we need them, it hurts to have them pulled away..  So we make excuses as to why we need them..  "No it's not pride, it's strength!  I'm not easily offended or defensive, I'm 'guarding' my heart!  I'm not judgmental, I'm just honest!"  Or my own personal layer "I don't have trust issues, I just turn to God and not people"..  Oh, believe me when I realized that God had decided that my distrust of any male but my husband was a layer that needed to be peeled, I was so not on board!  I fought it..  A lot..  Which only makes the process even more painful..  Once the layer is peeled, what is underneath is exposed..  It's much more sensitive than the outer layer..  Sometimes the inner layer is so sensitive that we cover it with several outer layers, each one tougher than the one beneath it..  So it takes God a while to pull away all of the layers, and each one more painful than the last..



But once all the layers are peeled away we can take another look at the more sensitive inside and and do what we need to do to fix it..  I know that sometimes we think that it doesn't need to be fixed, that it was so long ago, we have put it behind us and there is no need to expose it again..  But we don't really put it behind us and move on..  We just cover it up and try our hardest to pretend like it isn't there..  But it is, it always is.. It never goes away until we deal with it for real, and once and for all..  Sometimes, even with all of the layers covering it, it manages to peek out once in a while..


If you are in the peeling process right now, I can empathize, I am too..  I have a lot of layers over my trust issues and I am no where near the core of it, but I'm in the process..

But what happens when we don't allow God to peel away the layers?  Well, like any onion, if you leave it alone long enough it will grow roots..
Believe me, you don't want that to happen..  So let God do what He does..

Even if we think it's unnecessary, even if it's something we are sure we don't want, even though it might agony for us; it's a good thing..  The whole process..  The peeling, revealing the sensitive layer under it and the layers even more sensitive under that one, it's all for good..

Peeling onions brings tears..  But they don't last forever..

3 comments:

  1. Amen sista! God is peeling my layers too. Funny thing is, it's not so painful for me anymore. I actually appreciate it because I know he's molding me. But MAN, I got a lot of layers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your analogy of this....so true.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!