Consider the Lilies..: Mud-slinging..   

Oct 6, 2012

Mud-slinging..



My friend Groovy Mamma has a bunch of free samples on her blog..  Most of them are offered on Facebook and since I don't have a Facebook page I can't get them, but you can!  Stop by her blog and check them out..

Ok, moving on..  Sort of..

 Because we now have public forums like Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube, it has become so easy for all of us to be as mean, nasty, and as confrontational as we like because we no longer have to be face to face with anyone who offends us..  We can sling accusations from behind a computer screen or through a text..   
I know, you're thinking '"I don't post anything I wouldn't say in person" but the thing is, we don't..  
Sure we could say these things in person, but we never do.. 

Why is it OK to make jabs, say mean things, make accusations, pick fights, call names, and insult each other so publicly?  We don't even think about it anymore..  We see something on Facebook, Twitter, or a blog that offends us, so we just jump right in and give our opinions and then start arguing..  Or someone offends us so we go home and rant about it on public forums instead of talking to the offender..  And then when face to face with that same person, we either pretend we didn't see them, or we smile and act as if nothing happened..
Why do we do this?

The Bible teaches about confrontation:
"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.  But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."
Matthew 18:15-17

There is nothing in the Bible that says to stand in a public place and shout accusations..  There is nothing in the Bible that says "if you have a problem with someone, bring it out in the open so everyone else can be aware of it and give their opinion too"..
Well consider me convicted..  I have made this mistake several times, and I will make a real effort not to make it again..

Someone has to be the bigger person..  Someone has to be the first to say "I am not going to be pulled into this sort of behavior". Someone has to be one to decide that they will not fight back..  At least not publicly..

When you see or hear something on a public forum that offends you, you can chose not to respond publicly..  And yes, there are people who post things just looking for someone to have a problem with it, so they can argue about it..  I think that's an identity issue, but that's a whole other blog post!  
But you can be the one who will step up and say to that person directly "I was offended by what you said or did"..  When I say directly, I mean in person..  Not through Facebook, not through an email or a text, but face to face.. If you are the offender, you can chose to get defensive or you can chose to listen with an open and nonjudgmental heart..  The worst that happens is you go your separate ways..  But we can do so with dignity can't we?

I know that lots of people act this way on public forums, but just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean that we have to also:

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will".
Romans 12:2

 You don't have to fight back..  We can turn the other cheek.  We don't have to defend ourselves or make sure that everyone knows our opinions..  We don't have to and the Bible tells us not to..
We choose to..
As Christians we are supposed to be set apart..  


"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
Jeremiah 1:5 


We are supposed to show the heart and mind of Christ by our actions and behavior..
Do we really do that?  I know that in certain situations, I have not..

But I can do better..


6 comments:

  1. Amen!! Great post! I am doing the James Bible study by Beth Moore and we just discussed that anger does NOT promote God's Kingdom. Thanks for this reminder. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh my friend! You have hit the nail on the head...AGAIN! I am soooo guilty of this. Problem with me is, I will say it to yo face AND post about it. Haaa haaa.

    I fully admit I can be one bad,angry mamma jamma but that is what I love about having a friend like you. Iron sharpens iron.

    You can tell me to reign it in without being condemning or having to prove you're more intelligent than the rest of the world.

    Our friend Deb Martin is the same. She always "gives it to ya" in love. And isn't that what we are supposed to do?

    I will definitely have to work on not posting when I'm angry. I fully admit to it. I'm working on it. lol

    But sometimes, those people who think they know everything, perceive something the wrong way, and have the audacity to try and "read" you publicly when they don't have a clue.

    If you don't like what you see, don't look. I guess that's part of that bad mamma jamma in me. haaa haa!

    This was a great post sis! Keep em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the problem is that we look even when we don't want to.. We know that what we will see on someone's Facebook (expect me because I can't see it) or on someone's blog (which I can see) is going to offend us or upset us, but for some reason we still have to look.. We want to know what the other person is saying, or posting.. We know it will make us angry, but we look anyway..
    We say things like "I don't care what you think" but then we purposely go and read what they think! That is exactly what I did last week.. I read a blog, got angry and went off.. Then I had realized what I did and had to apologize.. It's just stupid really

    Wow, I think I just convicted myself again..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Marci.. I have heard a lot about Beth Moore, but I have never listened to her sermons or read any of her books.. I will check her out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Ren. Beth Moore ain't no joke! We should do one of her series for our next small group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't post offensive things or engage in fights with people but I am guilty of looking. Facebook makes it so easy to be nosey and I'll read things knowing that they're going to upset me. Then normally my BFF and I will discuss all the crazy things we've read. It's so bad and I shouldn't let that negativity into my spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!