Consider the Lilies..: Looky Looky! Watch me!   

Oct 12, 2012

Looky Looky! Watch me!

Rejoicing begins when we look at our situation in view of God's mercy and with worship of Him.. Instead of holy wrath for our sins and disobedience, we've received mercy for our pride and rebellion..
Sometimes I think we put that truth on a shelf somewhere and forget about it.. We're like toddlers seeking daddy's attention.. God keeps telling us to look at Him and pay attention to what He is telling us, but we are too busy goofing off and hollering "watch me Daddy!  Look at me!" 


For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 
Romans 12:3-5

"We should not think of ourselves more highly than we ought". But isn't that what we're doing when we turn our eyes from the mercies of God and start coveting the blessing of another? Hey, I deserve that blessing, too! I'm good enough — I should have all that I have and what they have too!

We like to say that we don't covet..  We want others to believe that we don't desire what someone else has and that we never get angry or upset when we see someone else blessed with what we have been wanting for ourselves..  Or what about people we are angry with?  Or someone who does not behave the way we think they should?  How do we feel when we see them blessed while we still don't have what we think we should?

Have you ever considered that maybe it's our attitude that keeps us from receiving blessings?  Petty and selfish thoughts like:  Why does she have more friends than me? Why don't I make a salary like him?  Why did he get promoted?  I have been at this job longer!
God wants us to put others before us..  All the time..  Every time..  I can't think of anywhere in the Bible where it says "don't concern yourself with the welfare of others, focus on yourself and what you want"..

If you truly must think of yourself and compare yourself to others, how about asking yourself questions like: Why do I have enough money to buy groceries this week and someone else doesn't?  Why is my neighbor going through a divorce while my marriage is solid?  Why do I have a home while my friend's home was foreclosed on?  Why does my husband have a job while my sister's husband does not?  Why am I wishing for the blessings of others instead of thanking God for my own?

We live in a 'I want it and I want it now' society..  Everything should come to us when we want it, how we want it, and where we want it, with little or no work on our part..  But Hebrews 6:10-12 says:

God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

In my opinion, it's very simple..  Put everyone first, be thankful for everything you have, be patient, and get over yourself..

5 comments:

  1. Love this! At 42 years old I finally realize that my journey with God is just that, MY journey with God. The other day I was in the midst of some very rich people who I am very close with.

    I was a part of their success without any of it being my own. For the FIRST time ever, I didn't look at them and wish it was me.

    I knew AND Know that God's plans for me are good. His riches are my riches and I don't have to covet the blessings of others. What freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Direct, pointed, and spot-on as usual, Ren. Gratitude is a decision... make that decision every day and it will eventually become a habit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. Our society is definitely obsessed with being selfish. Great post as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's it in a nutshell Ren! Love it!;-))

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!