Consider the Lilies..: An eternal perspective..   

Oct 8, 2012

An eternal perspective..


An eternal perspective..

Have you ever said or done something because you just knew you that you were right, only to look back on it later and wonder "what the heck was I thinking?  How could I be so stupid?"

When I was in junior high, there was a girl who would corner me everyday before and after school..  She would threaten me and say terrible things..  One day I got fed up and hit her so hard that her face literally bounced off the pavement, knocking three of her teeth out and cutting up the side of her face..
I felt completely justified by what I did and was pretty proud of myself for a long time..  But just recently a friend of mine alerted me to a picture of her online..
She is still missing her teeth and her face is scarred..
I don't feel very proud of myself right now, nor do I feel feel justified for doing it..

Can you recall everything that has offended you in the past year?  Can you remember every slight, every Facebook post, every billboard, tv commercial, political article, blog post, sermon, or news cast that bumped you in the past 12 months?

I doubt it..  If you do, then you seriously need to learn to let things go..  But for the rest of us, I think what it comes down to is perception and perspective..
Today we might see or hear something that offends us..  We will make a big deal out of it, argue about it, and act as if it is the end all and be all of everything..  But a month later it will be pointless and stupid..  Maybe later when you look back on it, you might even realize that you blew it out of proportion and acted like a fool..  By then it's too late..  You have made a fool of yourself, people have the wrong opinion of you, and you can't go back and undo it..  

If you believe Revelations and like me, you believe that we are living in the beginning of the end times, all of a sudden these things begin to look petty and small..  Things that seemed important a year ago don't seem so now..
In fact, I'm starting to realize that things I thought were important a week ago aren't all that important now..

I want to get to where I can live my life with an eternal perspective..  To be someone more concerned about the things of heaven than entangled with the things of earth..  Our perspective in life has either a strong and positive impact on the way we live or a negative one.  

The wisdom of the world is foolishness..  The opinions and actions of the world are foolishness..  Seeking acceptance from the world is foolishness and a disservice to God..  

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong.
1 Corinthians 1:27

Jim Elliot said   "I seek not a long life but a full life, like that of Jesus Christ".   
Jesus lived with His eyes on the kingdom always..  He was not of this world..  He was set apart and He acted like it..
I want to spend my time not looking around but looking up..
That is my goal..  It's a difficult goal, but not an impossible one..



5 comments:

  1. I so needed this post right now! I got home from a 2 hour meeting and the house was messy and my kids weren't ready for bed. Uuuggh! Your post made me realize what is really important....my kids were playing with my husband, their daddy. They know they are loved and worthy because he spends meaningful time with them. I'm convicted!! Thanks for turning my perspective. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen girl! Even with the presidential election coming up, whomever gets in, it's destiny from here on out.

    We are living in the end and if we believers have any wisdom at all, then we better know that our perspective needs to be eternal.

    Another great post my friend. Keep em coming girl. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The wisdom of the world is foolishness.. The opinions and actions of the world are foolishness.. Seeking acceptance from the world is foolishness and a disservice to God.. " - Ren - #wecandobetter

    Great Post !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @everyone, thanks so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Human perspectives are fluid, but Jesus' perspective is eternal and unchanging. Great post, Ren.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!