Consider the Lilies..: "Thar she blows.."   

Sep 16, 2012

"Thar she blows.."

     God told Jonah to bring His message to Nineveh.    Nineveh was the “most hated” city of the Israelites.  Jonah knew how God worked and he knew that God was going to offer mercy to the Ninevites, and frankly Jonah did not believe that they deserved it..  God was willing to bestow Love, Mercy, and Grace to Nineveh; but Jonah was not willing to do the same..

     So Jonah ran in the other direction..  Maybe he thought that God would come to His senses and realize that saving Nineveh was a stupid idea, maybe he thought that if God wanted it to happen bad enough, He would send someone else after Jonah refused..  
     But I'm not sure that God works that way..  Jonah did everything he could to get out of it, but God prevented his escape..  He went so far as to have Jonah swallowed by a whale and then vomited on the shore of Nineveh..
Sure , God could have chosen someone else after Jonah said no, but He chose Jonah..

     Today I learned some rather devastating news and I was given a job to do..  I don't know how to do it, I don't know where to start and I'm not prepared to do it..  It feels too big for me..  I know that nothing is too big for God and I know that with His help, nothing is too big for me.. 
 I want to be obedient..  But I am overwhelmed.  I feel uneasy and out of sorts..  It's not a good feeling and not one that I'm used to..  I am very organized, systematic, and I like to have a plan..  
     But right now I feel like Jonah..  I want to run in the other direction..  I want to close my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears and shout " la la la la la la la" until God chooses someone else..
I don't think that's going to happen though..  

     Fortunately I don't live near an ocean so I don't have to worry about keeping an eye out for whales, but I am sure God has other ways..  
But when God gives you a job to do, you just gotta do what you gotta do..  
Right?

Love and faithfulness meet together;
righteousness and peace kiss each other.
Faithfulness springs forth from the earth,
and righteousness looks down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed give what is good,
and our land will yield its harvest.
Righteousness goes before him
and prepares the way for his steps.
Psalms 85:10-13



1 comment:

  1. Girl! You are ALWAYS spot on with your blogging. Oh my goodness. This post was wonderful. Gosh since we don't live near an ocean I wonder WHAT God would use to make you go? :)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!