Consider the Lilies..: I love the Bible.. Part 1.   

Aug 7, 2012

I love the Bible.. Part 1.

I have several..  I can't say that I started out wanting several, it just sort of happened..  I guess you could say that I have a Bible collection, or at least the start of one..  There are a few versions I don't have that I would like to have, and one version I already have and could probably do without..
Anyway, I thought I would show you my Bibles..
  I don't know that pictures of my Bibles will make much of an impression on you, but hey, it's my blog right?  So, here we go..
(you can click on them to get a bigger view)
This (below) is my study Bible..  It's the Hebrew-Greek Key Word Bible, King James Version.  I have gotten a few raised eyebrows from others when they learn that when I study the Bible, I use the KJV..  There are much easier versions to use if you are going to actually study the Bible word for word, but there is something about studying the KJV that really challenges me, and I love that..
   
I started using the KJV for study when Brutal bought me a Bible study course on DVD..  It was T.D. Jakes Bible study on Ephesians..  He used the KJV so to follow along properly, I decided to do so also..  By the time the course was over, I was hooked on the KJV..  It's also the version that I use for Theology school..  This is what the inside of my KJV looks like now..
This (below) is my Life in the Spirit study Bible..  It's NIV (New international version) and pretty good for Bible study too..  This is the Bible I started with when I decided that I was going to do more than just read the Bible..  I don't focus on this one as much as I used to, but when I am doing a Book study (which is not to be confused with my Theology school) I choose a different book of the Bible once a month and dive in, I pay more attention to this one.
  
It's only one of the versions I use for my book study though..  I like to haul all of them out and read each verse from each version..  It's time consuming, but totally worth it..
This one (below) is my parallel  Bible.  One side is the NIV and the other side is the Message Bible..  I don't use this one much at all..  In fact I don't know when or where I got it..  I don't even remember purchasing it.. The Message Bible is not one of my favorite versions of the Bible..  Actually, I don't like it much at all..  I think it simplifies scripture too much..  I suppose it's a good beginner's Bible..  But I don't feel like I am getting the meat of the Word when I read it, you know?
Below is my Amplfied Bible..   It's easy to understand, and it does exactly what it says it does..  It amplifies the Bible..  I go back and forth with this version..  I will read it for a week and then put in on the shelf for a month or so before getting it out again..  I enjoy the Amplified version though..  Sometimes when I come across a verse that I don't really understand, I pull out the Amplified..  It usually clears up the confusion :)
These two (below) are my NLT (New Living Translation) and my ESV (English Standard Version).  The NLT I got about a week after I was saved.  Brutal got it for me.  I wanted something easy because I felt the KJV was just too confusing (funny huh?) so he chose the  NLT..  It is an easy read and I do enjoy reading it, but lately it has spent more time on my shelf than off.. 
I can't give my opinion on the ESV yet..  I have only had it for about a month and a half and I haven't really looked at it..  It was a gift from a church that Brutal and I visited a while ago..  
These (below) are my One Year Bibles..  I have the regular One Year Bible and the Chronological One Year Bible..  I used to have the One Year Message Bible, but I gave it t Brutal to give it to a guy at work..  I am currently reading the regular One Year Bible (Brutal is reading the other one)..  The one I am reading is the NLT, so I guess I do read it more often than I thought.
This little Bible is one I haven't opened in almost 2 years..  I keep it for sentimental reasons..  Pastor Brian gave this to me the day I was saved..  We had just prayed, I had just given my heart to Christ, and had asked him (Brian) "what do I do now?"
Brian handed me this little book and said "Read this and so what it says"..
It was just that easy..
Now this one is my favorite..  I love this book..  It's an NIV, but there is something about this particular NIV (remember, I have 3) that I really love.  I love the size of it, the weight of it, the feel of the pages..  I even like the smell of it..
It's a lay-flat Bible so I can set it on the table, open it to whatever page I want, and it lays open perfectly..  It's a little larger print which I love..
This is the Bible that I read every day.  It's the Bible that I take to church, the Bible that I read when I wake up in the morning, when I am sitting on the porch, right before I go to bed, or when I just feel like reading..  
This is my Bible.


Oh wait, I have one more!
This (below) is The Book of God..  It's the Bible in novel form..  This is a pretty cool book and an easy read..  If you just want to sit down and read the Bible cover to cover, this is the one to read..
So, that is my small yet still growing Bible collection..  Why did I just post pictures of all my Bibles? 
Well, my next few blog posts will be about the Bible; why I love it, why it is so important to me, and why it should be important to you too..
So..  That's that!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to generate a
    superb article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and don't seem to get anything done.

    Feel free to surf to my web site visit link

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!