Consider the Lilies..: A new creation..   

Aug 16, 2012

A new creation..

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;  
old things have passed away; behold all things have become new"
2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV)

What happens when you become a new creation?  Emmet Fox said it perfectly when he said:
"When once you have accepted the Jesus Christ message, nothing is ever the same again.  All values change radically.  The things that one spent time and energy in striving for are felt to be no longer worth the having, while other things that one passed by on the way with scarcely a glance, are discovered to be the only things that matter."

Anyone who knew me before I gave my heart to Christ would not know me now..  It's difficult to know a person a certain way for a certain amount of years and then see them change all of a sudden ..  It's very rarely all of a sudden though, it really is a gradual change and usually a subtle one..  If you don't keep a close watch, it does seem like they are one person one moment and then a dramatically different person the next..  Sometimes others refuse to see the change because they were comfortable with the way the person was..  Or perhaps they figured there was just no way that person could ever change, at least not so dramatically..  I don't really know for sure..  
However I do know what it is to be a new creation..

I was a very different person before I was a believer..  I was rude, selfish, manipulative, antisocial, cold, uncaring, unfeeling, backstabbing, vindictive, and I didn't trust anyone..  I knew how to hold a grudge, how to tear others down emotionally and keep them there..  I made snap judgments about everyone and stuck to them without a so much as a passing thought for their feelings..  I knew how to hurt others and I enjoyed the power it gave me..
After I gave my life to God and welcomed the Spirit, I began to change..  Nothing very significant right away, I had a lot of garbage to sort through first..  The first year was a year of transformation for me..  The changes were gradual..
I started off like most everyone else..  Going to church on Sunday and classes on Wednesday.  I was baptized, read my Bible, said grace before dinner, and prayers before bed..
I still judged others, I still said mean things to people, and I didn't open up to anyone..

But as time wore on and I spent more time reading the Word, praying, serving, and worshiping, I began to change more rapidly..  My opinion of other people changed..  Instead of judging them or their actions right away I found myself wondering what had happened to them in their past to make them act the way they did, or feel the way they do..
I stopped wanting to hurt people and genuinely wanted to help them and intercede for them..
The more I read Paul's letters, especially Ephesians, Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians, the more I wanted to be like the Christians he was trying to mold them to be..
I'm not there yet, but I am a whole lot closer than I was..  I'll be even closer tomorrow, and the day after, and so on..

So..  The next time you think you know a person, when you are sure that they could never change and certainly not for the better, give them the benefit of the doubt..  You never know, the person you are looking at right now could be in a period of transformation..  You just have to be willing to put your feelings and opinions aside, and maybe wait a little..  It can happen..  To anyone at any time..


God works miracles..  
I'm living proof of that..

5 comments:

  1. I think as believers we are always in a state of change. I just thank God that HE has the patience to walk us through the change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as believers we are always in a state of change. Thankfully God has the patience to walk us through the change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So am I (living proof of God's omnipotence)!!!! Wow... you really move me. Amen! May we be mold and may we bring the gospel to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you came by my blog and left your comment. I really enjoyed reading your blog today!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!