Consider the Lilies..: If we are the Body..   

Jul 24, 2012

If we are the Body..

But if we are the Body,
why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the Body,
Why aren't His feet going?
(Casting Crowns)

On the first Saturday of every month, people from my church go to serve at the homeless shelter.  This Started a couple months ago, and people have gone twice so far..  Out of a congregation of 2,400 people, last week 8 people showed up..  Only 8.  I am ashamed to say that I was not one of those 8 people..
I am willing to bet that the majority of the people in my church are in need of something and I am even more willing to bet that everyone in our church knows of at least one person in need of something.  I have no doubt that some are helping, and some are receiving..  But there are a lot more who need help that aren't getting it and a lot more that can help who aren't..
I'm not pointing fingers.  I could step up more myself too..  In fact I had decided that I would go to the shelter the last time, but obviously it wasn't important enough to me to remember, so I forgot (I AM going the next time!)..  
Several times our pastors have stood before the congregation and asked everyone to step up and help (single mothers, people with medical bills, etc)..  When they do that during the service, people do step up and help..  But what about the rest of the time?  Why do we have to be inspired by pastors, or people on television to really push in and help?
We have already been told..  By Jesus..
I know that everyone is facing hard times right now, but it seems to me that we have all somehow inherited a 'take care of ourselves first' attitude..  This is not what Jesus was about..  Jesus told us to put ourselves aside and take care of others first. 

When I was hungry you gave me nothing to eat,
When I was thirsty you gave me nothing to drink.
I was a stranger and you did not invite me in,
I needed clothes and you did not clothe me,
I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.
They will answer "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger needing clothes, 
or sick in prison and we did not help you?"
He will reply "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these,
you did not do for me".
Matthew 25:42-45

There have been times when my husband and I could not afford to help someone, but we did anyway, and we have received blessings because of it..  But there have also been times that we could afford to help someone and we didn't..  Probably because we could not have done something for ourselves if we had..

I'm not talking about just my church..  I'm talking about everyone, everywhere.  Me included..  Maybe we don't always have money or food or clothes to give..  But we have our time, we have the power of prayer, and we have our voices..  We can step in and serve, we can truly offer our heartfelt prayers instead of just saying "Oh, I'll pray for you" and then forget..  We can make others aware of people in need.. We can ask if there is anyone in need and then offer whatever we can.. 

Though I have given money when I had it, I don't have it to give to someone right now, but that doesn't mean that I can't help at a homeless shelter or pass out water to someone on the street, cook a meal for someone in need, donate something of mine that could help someone else, offer to babysit for someone who can't afford childcare, visit someone in the hospital, pray over someone who is sick, clean a house for someone who needs it, or mow the lawn for someone who isn't able to..
There is so much that we can do for each other..  So much!  
But it involves getting off of our comfortable couches, turning off our favorite T.V. show, missing a date night, leaving the air conditioning, and doing some work..
Just because we can't individually do everything doesn't mean that we can't each do something..  We can make a difference..  Truly..

2 comments:

  1. Amen sista! I have spent today myself thinking of how to help someone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New blog Follower. I hope you have a good day.. Will be back to read more.

    Would love a follow back
    http://www.foreveryoursfaithfully.net/

    sami

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Thanks so much!